Duplicate File Finder for Music
Popularity of audio formats changes over time, so you may find yourself updating your music collection to the formats your new portable device supports. Sometimes different editions of the same album become available. There are also collection editions, greatest hits, best songs of the year, etc.
As a result, you get lots of duplicate files, and some of them your don't really need. They may use up lots of free space on your HDDs, but finding and eliminating duplicates manually in a collection of thousands and thousands files is something very difficult to do. Luckily, there are programs like Music Duplicate Remover that allow finding duplicates automatically.
Step 1: Download and install the program.
Download Music Duplicate Remover to your computer and start the setup. Follow its instructions to install the duplicate file finder.
Step 2: Start the program. Select folders to search for duplicates.
Launch Music Duplicate Finder. In the main window, take a look at the "Folder structure" panel on the left (1):
Here, folders of your computer are shown. There are boxes near every folder. You can click a box to set a checkmark, which means that the folder is now selected for scanning.
Select all folders that you want to scan for duplicates and click the "Find duplicates" button (2). But before doing so, you can check the "Grouping options" tab.
Step 3: Priority settings for duplicates.
The "Grouping options" tab allows specifying priorities. For example, you can decide that FLAC files are more important than MP3.
We can also specify folders where we prefer to keep files and folders where duplicates must be removed.
Step 4: Find duplicate files.
After you click the "Find duplicates" button, Music Duplicate Remover starts to scan the selected folders.
By default, the program scans files both by ID3 tags and by sound. This can be changed using the "Compare" field in the right panel.
Step 5: Delete duplicate files.
After the scan is finished, Music Duplicate Remover shows results in the main area on the right:
Results are displayed in the form of a tree, with "originals" as root elements and "duplicates" as their leaves. The priorities that you set in step 3 are taken into account. You can swap any duplicate with the "original" file.
To delete the selected duplicates, click the "Delete duplicates" button on the toolbar of Music Duplicate Remover.
The free trial version of Music Duplicate Remover can delete a limited number of duplicates. However, it can find duplicates without limitation.
- How to add cover art to an mp3 file?
- How to rename a batch of audio files?
- How to find all songs on your PC
- How to import ID3 tags from CSV?
- How to find MP3 duplicates by sound?
- How to fix ID3 tags?
- How to export ID3 tags to MS Excel?
- How to edit FLAC tags?
- How to download FLAC lyrics for free?
- How to add track numbers to ID3 tags?
- Duplicate File Finder for Music
- How to extract MP3 tags from filenames?
- How to download MP3 lyrics for free?
- How to remove music duplicates?
- How do I find duplicates in my music collection?
- How to rename MP3 files using ID3 tags?
- What ID3 tag editor can edit WMA tags?
- How to edit AAC tags?
- How to download MP3 album art?
- How do I get ID3 tags from the Internet?
- How to download lyrics for songs?
- How do I tag MP3 files with ID3 data using filenames?
- How do I sort MP3 files? I want to organize my music collection.
- How to keep track of my borrowed music albums?
- How to make a catalog of my music collection using album barcodes?
- How to get the biography of an artist?
- How to manage my music collection on a Dune HD media player?
- How to organize my music collection?
- How do I organize my music collection?
- How do I remove duplicates on my computer?
- How to create a playlist?
- Media Catalog Studio 4.5 review
Ask our expert
- How to get quick updates on movies by director?
- How to convert multiple MIDI files into an MP3?
- How to rotate videos?
- How to convert WMA to WAV?
- How to play MIDIs on an iPhone?
- How to split an audio file into equal parts?
- How to split m4b audiobooks into chapters for free?
- How to convert videos for You Tube?
- How to get quick updates on new video games?
- How to add cover art to an mp3 file?
- All-In-One Jukebox
- Audio CD Burners
- Audio CD Rippers
- Audio Converters
- Audio Editors
- Audio Players
- Developers Kit
- DJ Tools
- DVD Rippers
- DVD Tools
- Flash Tools
- iPod Tools
- Karaoke Software
- Mac OS Tools
- Midi Tools